Hot Springs National Park: Quapaw Baths By Kenneth Crane, Joel Anderson, 2020
- Hot Springs National Park: Quapaw Baths
Hot Springs National Park was the first piece of federal land ever designated for preservation. In 1832, Congress created the Hot Springs Reservation. Following that act of protection, a town sprung up around the springs, a city of recreation, gambling, baseball, horse races, speakeasies, and of course, bathhouses and hot springs. In 1921, the protected area was officially made into a national park. It was thought for centuries that the springs contained mythical healing powers, and Anderson Design Group captured that magical aura surrounding the springs in this mid-century, vintage travel poster. Handcrafted with brush, stylus, and pencil, this illustration depicts a section of the springs and a verdant wood surrounding it.